Started Dec 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
ozarktroutfisher
Contributing MemberPosts: 523Gear list
Like?
Re: How much for a 300mm 2.8?
In reply to nikoj, Dec 6, 2011

nikoj wrote:

However the design without VR at that FL seems a bit long in the tooth to me

I have the 300mm f2.8 AF-S II. The OP states that he'd use the lens in question for airshows and other general uses. I can speak specifically for airshows that VR would be virtually useless. I've shot mine at a couple of airshows hand held for about 2 hours at a time and VR I believe would actually be worse.

Of course having said that, there will be many times I'm sure where VR would be benefiical, just not for airshows or any other action type photography.

I absolutely love my lens........ but I might actually buy the 300mm f4 as others have suggested if I had to buy a 300mm today knowing what I know now. My original theory was that I could attach a 1.4 tele extender or even 2.0 and still be able to AF. About 6 years alter, I've never attached one and frankly shoot it at f4 a lot to get a little more DOF.

At the end of the day though....... boy do I love that lens!! I have ZERO regrets buying it.

Keith

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow