Moving from 60D to 5D II (or crop to full-frame)

Started Dec 6, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Astound
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
Moving from 60D to 5D II (or crop to full-frame)
Dec 6, 2011

If anyone want's to skip the preamble, I actually get to the question in the last paragraph.

I'm a professional graphic designer/creative director and work with a lot of photography. Often other people's. I am only an amateur photographer, but I am increasingly using my images in my work. More importantly, I'm getting more enthusiastic the more I learn.

It's not going to happen just yet, so it will probably be the 5D mk III by the time I get there. Also, I really like my 60D.

But my mind has started wandering towards full frame. In my work I see a lot of photographs taken by many different cameras (checking the metadata has become automatic since this photography bug bit me). And whilst a lot of images have been post-processed by the time I see them, it is noticable to me that the full frame ones have a certain 'look and feel' that is great to look at.

Sure, it is logical that the photographers using the full-frame camera may be more professional than the images supplied by keen amateurs/semi-pros like me using crop cameras – and, of course, they may be using better lenses also. But it's the lack of noise, increased 'depth' and smooth transitions which I often notice straight away.

Soooooo, and here comes the question, if I move from crop to full-frame, what kind of learning curve will I have? What tips does anyone have? Is a full-frame camera an extravegance for a non-pro like me, or will I get some real benefit using one?

Thanks.

Astound's gear list:Astound's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow