Started Dec 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
xpanded
Regular MemberPosts: 264Gear list
Like?
AW100 vs older UW cameras
Dec 5, 2011

My well worn Olympus Tough-6000 has done its duty and I am looking into buying a new UW camera from the newest generation.

The prime wishes are faster AF, better VR/IS, better still IQ, better video (done in all modern UWs) and the use of SD cards for compatibility with my backup equipment when travelling.

I think I have read almost all review (in English) of the latest generation and (being a former Nikonos owner) am attracted to the AW100 for its looks and video quality and to the TX10 for the still IQ and size. The ultimately ruggability is not of paramount importance. As long as it will survive a drop from the hip and heavy showers I am good.

Based on the various review sites’ sample galleries the TX10 seems to be much better in still image IQ than the AW100 at low ISO. This may be the truth, but I much prefer “real users” experience and further - how do the modern UW cameras stack up to their older siblings?

If you have experience with the AW100 and/or TX10 as well as the Tough-generation cameras from Olympus I would appreciate it if you could comment on:

New vs old with regards to VR/IS, AF, and IQ.

All comments welcomed – also from people with no comparison experience but input on the AW100 and/or TX10.

Thanks in advance
Xpanded

Nikon Coolpix AW100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow