Started Dec 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 34,023Gear list
Like?
Great artists and photography.
Dec 5, 2011

I was very cultural last week and visited two major art shows in the best Capital in the world, London. But although they were two completely different artists, their lives a hundred years apart, they both shared one love and use in their work, photography!

These to artists are Degas, who's show is on at the Royal Academy of Arts, and Gerhard Richter at the Tate Modern.

Degas got into photography in a big way around about 1900, he had cameras made for him specially and the print quality of his panoramas, into which he was particularly interested would be hard to better today (sorry DSLR lovers ) He devised a way of photographing a model for his sculpture by using 24 cameras set up around the girl (in this case) and all tethered and able to shoot at the same instance. This setup made me think of the sort of camera setups that were used in the film matrix and others which shot not together but in sequence to produce those wonderful shots that circle the subjects and seem to stop motion in 3D. This guy was streets ahead of his time and his ballerina pictures show movement like no other did at the time. Sadly DSLR shooters today are frightened of showing a bit of movement and blur and prefer the still sharpness (and often boredom) that they think their camera was designed for. Now.....

...this is replecated in Richter's work. Black and white paintings done from photographs but blurred. they are magnificent. Once again, looking at his paintings they inspired me to take more blurred pictures using long exposure. I'm bored of sharp ones!

If you are lucky enough to live in London, please go ans see these exhibitions, i never fail to get inspired by work like this and they give me so many ideas for my photography. If you are not in London do Google and read about Richter and Degas and their photography.
Jules

-- hide signature --

Julesarnia on twitter

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow