Started Dec 5, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 33,089
Like?
patch Tool Question
Dec 5, 2011

As a portrait photography retoucher I use the Patch Tool a lot. Sometimes I retouch specs (of dirt, dust or sensor specs) that appear on a studio background behind the sitter. This area of the background is one colour (greyish ) and at 100% appears as graduated tones of noise (or grain). Now here's the thing, if I use the Patch Tool by whizzing around the spec or mark and drag it to a similar toned area near by, it gets rid of the spec, but very often leave some distasteful marks there the selection line was. This is pretty subtle and it is quite likely that most of you have never experience such a problem as most people Patch in more busy areas and would never notice this problem.

So one way to get around this, or at least improve the result is to have a very soft edged, ie Feathered, selection initially to then use the patch Tool with. But, you can't choose the Feathering when using the Patch Tool, it is not an option. The only way I have found around this is to make the selection with the Marque Lasso using a feathering (of something like 15), then choos the Patch Tool and drag it to a clear area to mend the spec or mark on the background. The soft edge improves the problem that I mentioned.

Is there anyway I can use the Patch Tool with a soft edged selection intitially without having to work through the Marque Tool first?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Jules

-- hide signature --

Julesarnia on twitter

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow