24mm, s100, and "keystoning" - weird distortion effects

Started Nov 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
mzillch
Contributing MemberPosts: 723
Like?
Re: 24mm, s100, and "keystoning" - weird distortion effects
In reply to GeraldW, Dec 4, 2011

OP,

Sorry you've had to endure so many condescending put downs aka "Well I would think you should know..." or "Any photographer worth anything, even amateur, realises..."

These people are unhelpful, rude jerks.

I guess it is a form of "cyber bullying" if you think about it. The reason they are talking down to you is to boost their egos by belittling you and quite INTENTIONALLY attempting to hurt your feelings. That's essentially what bullying is. You can safely ignore their claims otherwise.

Don't give them the time of day; I don't. [As you'll quite possibly see in responses to this very post, which I wont even see since I'm leaving cause I don't like the company of A-holes. (Present company excluded.)]

P.S. In addition to this problem endemic to wide angle lenses like your 24mm equivalent, unless they have a tilt/shift function (which I've never seen on retractable lens PnS zoom cams), the S100 has higher than normal barrel distortion in its widest mode, which exacerbates the problem by curving the lines, and is well illustrated in the recent DCResource review. They describe it as "mild to moderate" and give a good example showing the curving problem here:

Source:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s100-review?page=0,2

Maybe try tapping the zoom in a notch to more like 28mm or in the low 30's and the issue will be mostly corrected? Give it a try.

Good luck.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow