Best birding lens

Started Dec 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
tva
tva
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
Re: Best birding lens
In reply to Alton (TN), Dec 4, 2011

My two cents here. I've gotten some decent bird pictures with the 70-200 F4 L IS and a 1.4TC. It's light, has great sharpness and very affordable. It's my choice when I go out and don't want to attract a lot of attention and travel light.

I also have the 300 2.8 and use it with the 1.4TC. Yep, it's a fab lens. Attracts way to many gawkers and general attention though. So I only carry it when I really need the reach. It's heavy and big. I carry it on a Black Rapid strap and can comfortably carry it that way for a max of about 5 miles.

My favorite walkabout lens right now though is the 70-200 2.8 MK II with TC's. I'm extremely impressed at the sharpness and vividness this lens provides. With the right technique it's not so hard to get close enough for decent pictures with the limited reach. For me, anything heavier, bigger than the 300 is just too much to handle if you want to be quick and mobile which is the name of the game for me!

Here's an example pic taken with the 70-200 2.8 MK II with 1.4TC.

http://flic.kr/p/aPuJev

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow