MFT like a rangefinder? Where has this nonsense come from?

Started Dec 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
MFT like a rangefinder? Where has this nonsense come from?
Dec 3, 2011

The point of rangefinder cameras is that you have a huge, bright, clear viewfinder in which to compose, often with a view wider than the lens, which helps. Also notable is that the view remains sharp even when the lens is out of focus.

This could not be less like EVILS, which come in three forms:

1) With no viewfinder, as a larger sensor compact camera, like my E-PM1. These are horrible to compose with, and not really an acceptable replacement for a semi-pro camera, but they are very small and can be carried at times you would not carry a dSLR. They could not be LESS like a rangefinder, where ease of composition is the whole POINT.

2) With an electronic viewfinder, as a smaller alternative to a dSLR, like my DMC-GH2. These are fine to compose with and ARE an acceptable replacement for a dSLR, (now that the AF is much faster than it was originally), but the viewfinder is still a weakpoint, not a strong point, as on a rangefinder.

3) With a snap on electonic viewfinder, allowing you to use a single camera both as uber-compact and dSLR replacement. In neither mode does the VF become a strong point.

So where DOES this nonsense come from? I suppose that because the manufacturers want to say "This is not an ordinary point ans shoot, it is an expensive camera" they have ended up producing things that look like the previous small and expensive cameras - Leica rangefinders.

But that's it for the resemblance folk. Purely cosmetic.

Evils and rangefinders could not be more different.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow