ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John of Brisbane
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
Claude Simon's "The Grass"
Dec 3, 2011

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=5764&View=NewFirst&Rows=4

This challenge (and series ) is a perfect example of challenges where the host has defined a theme and has no way of DQ'ing entries which don't fit the theme.

He/she has stated the challenge is to show a "personal interpretation" of the novel.

What has happened as a result is that 99.9% of entries are about the TITLE. Which goes to show that no -one has read the novel which is in fact a post-war family drama set in France and has nothing to do with grass.

The voters on this challenge can be expected to be as ignorant as the entrants and mark down any entries which don't show "grass" as the main theme.

This has gotten even sillier with the inclusion of a photo of a Bison (how this entrant managed to interpret the novel this way is beyond me ... unless he was smoking some "grass" at the time)

This type of challenge could be so much more interesting and informative if the host defined the challenge more clearly (perhaps at least including a synopsis) and then at least provided some guidance to the voters.

I'm not dissing the host, as I really enjoy these types of challenges, but he could work a little harder to make these challenges what they are intended to be.

John of Brisbane's gear list:John of Brisbane's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow