Started Dec 2, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jay_B
Regular MemberPosts: 209Gear list
Like?
s100+SX230 - Should I keep both?
Dec 2, 2011

I am a G11 owner that also had an HD camcorder as of October. Then I was at an event, wanted to take stills and some video and had to jump back and forth between the cameras. I missed some great moments and resolved to get a camera with both capabilities. In doing the research, I realized that it will be a while until there is a new "G" camera, if at all.

Last month, I purchased an s100 and have been shooting with it steadily. The s100 stays with the G11 in bright light and moderate light, and beats the G11 in low light. A small percentage of the s100 images can use a small amount of PP sharpening, but IQ is great, very few soft corners, etc.

I also picked up an SX230 for $150 during a lightining deal on Amazon. I wanted to compare the two plus try the 14X optical zoom. I am surprised so far in using the two side-by-side. The SX230 keeps up pretty well in many situations, and has longer reach. The s100 wins handily in low light, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the 230 in a low-light "pinch" if needed.

I am thinking of keeping both until Canon decides to update the "G" series (or not). Do you all think I'm crazy to keep two compact P&S's that are so similar?

Jay_B's gear list:Jay_B's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Canon PowerShot G11
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow