Started Dec 1, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SeeRoy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,516Gear list
Like?
Nikon software rage
Dec 1, 2011

Even after using ViewNX and Capture NX2 for years, these applications still have the potential to enrage me from time to time. One particular feature, functionally trivial, admittedly, is particularly idiotic. I just downloaded the View NX updater - 2.2.3 - from the Nikon website, having seen it mentioned on a forum. As usual, if I run the update checker from within the currently installed version of the application (2.2.1) I get the message "no updates currently available". It's a lie of course, as it always is.

I have NEVER seen either of these apps manage to identify the availability of a current update whether running on XP32 or Win7/64. Almost every other software vendor at least automatically notifies the presence of an update. This dumbsh!t stuff doesn't even recognise the availability of its own updates. Also, when I just tried to run the installer (English version) it balked at the regional version currently installed (ie the same language: scratches head, sanity-checks...) and demanded it first be un-installed. Nothing about this in the update notes of course.

The innumerable operational bugs I've learned to live with but this seems to me to be symptomatic of fundamental incompetence in the management of these applications. If they ever get round to releasing a major update after debugging and rationalising this stuff we're all going to be asked to pay a whacking great fee for having spent years bug-checking the existing versions for them.

Now somebody's going to tell me "mine works OK..."

Roy

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow