Started Nov 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
falcon_wizard
Regular MemberPosts: 316
Like?
Re: Pentax Flash...or lack thereof..
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Dec 1, 2011

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

falcon_wizard wrote:

I'd like to echo several of the elements brough up in previous posts above.

I sense that the tech envy on the Nikon flash is in big part due to marketting/perceptions. I'd be interested to see how many strobist/flash power users can't actually make the 540 flash work for them, and the major shortcomings not due to operator error/lack of understanding of the flash system.

My perception has nothing to do with marketing or any of the other things you mention. It is based on direct side-by-side use of two systems. As you say (and as I said in an earlier post) I can make my 540 work - but only up to 4m range. After that I'd need to spend money on triggers. With Nikon I don't need triggers until 12m and if I want to change output from different units I can do it from the camera.

If I want to fine-tune flash balance, walking 12m each way between shots adds up to a lot of time and effort. And Nikon gives me a vastly wider range of adjustment.

Pentax excels in a lot of things photographically but flash isn't one of them. Some people unfairly blame their kit (whatever it is) for their own errors; but it's not helpful to blame users for deficiencies in their kit.

These are surely valid points. There are likely users that require a long range flash setup and that don't want to invest in radio triggers. How much of a limitation has it been for you in the field (notwidtstanding what's on paper) ?

Stephane

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1983, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow