ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Higuma
Higuma MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,418
Like?
SB-910 & new HARD Color Conversion Lenses
Dec 1, 2011

For those who are tungsten / florescent challenged from time to time - event shooters etc.., when shooting flash indoors...

My first look at the SB-910 drew my interest to the new "hard" type color conversion lenses that the 910 will employ vs the troublesome ( for me anyways ) gels that the 900 uses - I frankly find them a bit of a PITA when you have to switch out gels with just one holder ( multiple holders were always on my agenda but I just never got around to it before now )...

So my first ? was will they work with the 900's as well... As no one has much first hand experience with these I decided to rummage around on the Nikon website here in Japan and to see what I could figure out...

Points of interest I found...

• the "clear" gel holder SZ-2 is listed as being compatible with both SB-900 and SB-910 = meaning that the attachment points / clips / receptacles are the same on both models...

• the SZ2-TN and SZ2-FL have what would appear to be the exact some color temperature identifications as the SB-900 color "GELS"... as you can see below...

• the SJ-3 color filter set is shown as compatible with both SB-900 & SB-910 flash units... which to my deduction means that the color identifier markings have the same identifier / recognition values for both flashes...

These deductions have led me to believe that although the new "hard" type gels DO NOT SPECIFICALLY say that they are compatible with the SB-900 - THEY IN FACT ARE compatible... Pixie dust or other magical means not withstanding...

To that end I have decided to pre-order the two hard CC lens and will receive them from Nikon Direct ( Japan Nikon web-store ) on December 15th ( or thereabouts )... This only represents about a $25 usd investment so nothing ventured / nothing gained...

For those interested in the outcome I will keep you posted...

Further - I am not particularly troubled that there appear to be no "light versions" of the CC gels available ( TN-A2 or FL-G2 ) because when I do correct for event I normally only find myself needing to correct to the extremes of both tungsten or florescent - so the two lens on offer will serve me well...

stay tuned...

-- hide signature --

Cheers...

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow