X100: Not waiting for focus confirmation

Started Nov 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
nand
Senior MemberPosts: 1,409Gear list
Like?
Re: X100: Not waiting for focus confirmation
In reply to Jeff Charles, Nov 30, 2011

Yes it works great like you said most of the time provided you don't move the camera after you press the shutter release.

Nand.

Jeff Charles wrote:

Based on a suggestion in a recent post, I have been experimenting with not waiting for focus confirmation before taking a shot. So far, it has worked very well. I've posted some examples in the following album: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8020585794/albums/x100-quick-focus-test . There's a 100% crop of the focus point for each scene.

The photos are not a selection of just the ones that came out in focus. Every photo that I took at ISO 3200, f2, and 1/18 and greater exposure was in focus. (I haven't posted the ones of my desk, because I do not want to hear comments about the mess ;).)

For each photo, I defocused, then aimed and shot with one motion.

Certainly, waiting for focus confirmation is more sure, but not waiting is a lot quicker, and my initial results tell me that it works most of the time.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

[signature under construction]

-- hide signature --

nand's gear list:nand's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow