ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
- UWA wide angle Lens comparison test - Nikon & Sigma
Nov 30, 2011

Hello,

Just wanted to share with you a test I made a few months ago. I could compare 4 different UWA (ultra wide angle) lenses for Nikon. The purpose was initially to upgrade my Sigma 10-20mm for the Nikon 10-24mm.

All tests are made on a sturdy tripod, @ 2 different apertures (wide open, and F8)

The raw files were then opened with Capture NX and saved as jpeg without any sharpening filter or modification. The camera used is a Nikon D3100.

The 4 lenses tested are :

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6D EX DC HSM (1st version, 77mm tread)
Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM (2nd version. 82mm tread)
Sigma 8-16mm 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM (no filter possible)
Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX (77mm tread)

You can download the PSD file with stacked jpeg layers here (clic on "regular download") :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EPWX13YL

or the full jpeg files here (clic on "regular download") :

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O71UZ4G5

Careful, big files !

My conclusion was that the Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 (1st version), stays the best bang for the buck, you can attach filters, it is very sharp from center to corners and fast enough for daylight or tripod work.

The Sigma 8-16mm is an impressive lens. Very sharp, but it is impossible to use filters with it. Also, the extreme 8mm angle will flatten the shape of every subject.

The Nikon 10-24mm was softer, sometimes in the center, sometimes in the corners. I was expecting a stellar glass, but the price tag is not worth it.

The worst one was the Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 (2nd version), very soft in the corners.

Take into account that I may have tested bad copies of the 2 last lenses, lens production quality is unfortunately not constant with either brand, Nikon or Sigma.

I also wanted to compare them to the well regarded Tokina 11-16mm which offers a constant 2.8 aperture (extremely useful for video) but it was not available on shelf.

ps : also consider that older series of the Sigma 10-20mm may not auto-focus in "live view mode" with the newer Nikon cameras. (I guess Sigma may re-flash the chip under warranty) . I have read some complaints about this here, so just relate.

Nikon D3100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Eno,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow