Started Nov 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Skinnypix
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
IPAD for high resolution image viewing
Nov 30, 2011

I’ve been thinking about replacing my netbook with an IPAD for when I travel. My photography use model would be to use it for backup storage, & high-resolution viewing some of my images – not for editing because of lack of color management.

My sister has an IPAD & SD card reader for it, so I tried transferring JPEG+RAW files, and RAW-only files to the IPAD, and then transferring both back from the IPAD to PC. No problems! So I’m satisfied it would meet my backup needs.

I did have a problem viewing files, however. For the RAW-only files, I was apparently viewing the sidecar JPEG image, which of course is low resolution. What surprised me was that when viewing the high-res JPEG images, when I zoomed in, I didn’t get all the detail present in the image that could be seen on my netbook. Basically, I think the IPAD is downsampling the large JPEG files so when you zoom in you can’t really pixel peep to look for critical details & sharpness!

Are there any other viewer apps available for the IPAD that will allow me to zoom in and see to the pixel level?

Another alternative might be to use a RAW editor like piRAWnha (not for editing, but as a viewer) but I don’t know if it allows the user to zoom into pixel-level viewing. It may not because there are file size limitations. (It says in the 1.1 version of the manual: “At this time due to available memory on the iPad, raw images larger than 15 megapixels will be exported as smaller images that are one-half full-size in width and height.”

Anybody have any experience with piRAWnha or other JPEG viewer to pixel peep?

Thanks, Alan

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow