Hunting Orbs - Something I'm going to try...

Started Nov 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,425Gear list
Like?
Hunting Orbs - Something I'm going to try...
Nov 30, 2011

The white blobs should render as "stars", points of light with rays radiating out from the center point of the specular highlight.. IF proper exposure is set up before the shot is taken. That is what everyone wants the camera to render, star-like specular highlights.

There is just no telling if this is sensor related or in-camera processing related or a combination of both. I wish the problem did not exist but I believe I can live with it for what and how I shoot.

One thing I want to try...

One thing I want to try to do is set the camera to manual focus and try shooting something like a bit of chrome on an automobile which has specular highlights.. when you begin to use the fine focus wheel on the X10 it magnifys the image on the LCD. This should allow me to see if the LCD displays the "Orbs" or not. If the orbs are not visible on the LCD then it might be a processing issue after the shutter is tripped. If the orbs are visible on the LCD then it might appear to be a sensor issue... but then who knows how much processing is going on prior to the scene being displayed on the LCD?

Bottom line is that if the orbs do not appear in the LCD and they do appear in the captured image then we might have a better handle on what is the root cause of the orbs or at least when the problem begins, before or after the shot is taken. I'll try to find time to do this today.

I have already decided that I am going to keep the X10 as, for me, the issue is not going to interfere with much of what I shoot.. but, I'm sure I will be bothered by it when it does. Still hope that Fuji can handle this in a firmware update.
--
Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
Blog: http://boxedlight.com/blog

The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow