Goodbye x10, I really tried to love you.

Started Nov 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Socorro Photog
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
Goodbye x10, I really tried to love you.
Nov 30, 2011

I can stand it any more this camera is bugging me to much and has to go. Why?

1. Auto iso will choose a higher iso than necessarily needed, even in bright daylight.

example: look at ephotozine's review/comparison of the S100 vs x10. In daylight when the S100 would choose a reasonable iso of 80-200, the x10 always choose 400 (even when taking a picture thats mostly comprised of cloudless sky!). Night images will go as high as the iso limit allows. I took a picture of a light against other city lights behind it and the camera choose iso 3200!

2. Very ineffective image stabilization. (The biggest issue with this camera for me)

I work from before the sun comes up to after it goes down, so a lot of my shots are at night. Prior to the Fuji I'd been using a Olympus XZ-1. At night via street lights & store windows it would take every image at every focal length blur free at iso 200. Everything taken at iso 200 was strange but seemed to work just fine. I got the x10 and loved the feel, controls & manual zoom operation. The shots I took at work in the daytime overexposed, but that was easily correctable. As soon as I got out (night) I went around town shooting with the x10 and my XZ-1 for comparison. I noticed right away the seemingly lack of IS on the X10, so I tried each IS mode to no avail. I didn't use the pixel binning modes because I had no interest in them. A blur free shot was an exercise in propping against nearby objects and crossing my fingers.

4. Shutter speed limit of 1/1000 at F2.0

There are many instances when shooting wide open outside is beneficial, but I can't on this camera. Most cameras with a F2 (XZ-1, LX5, TL500, S100, etc...) or better lens will let you shoot to 2000 and better yet include a ND filter for going over. Not the x10

I haven't noticed the WDS problem as of yet but with blurred images that's the least of my concerns.

I'm going to try the S100 and eagerly await the next canon G series. The Fuji will find a new home via the Lucky (or unlucky) Ebay winner.

Socorro Photog's gear list:Socorro Photog's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX120 IS Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 7D +7 more
Fujifilm X10 Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Samsung TL500 (EX1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
LX5New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow