Sony 18-250mm vs Tamron 18-270 pzd??

Started Nov 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,619
Like?
Re: Sony 18-250mm vs Tamron 18-270 pzd??
In reply to bobgeorge, Nov 30, 2011

le_undertaker wrote:

Which lens do you prefer? Thank you for any feedback.

I use the a700s, and do not do video.

I have both of these lenses. I bought the Sony 18-250 not too long after it came out to replace the Minolta 18-200. That was a improvement in IQ and welcomed extra focal length. A better lens replaced a lessor lens.

I bought the 18-270 via preorder when it first came out, being one of the first to have it. Like the 18-250 before it has been a better IQ and a little more focal length than the previous version. The 18-250 I have is now not used but just a backup lens. The 18-270 is often the midrange/walkabout on the set of three a700s I use all set up with a lens when out on photographic forays. The other two a700s typically have the 100mm Minolta D macro and macro ringflash on one and the 70-300G or 70-400G on the other (with or without the 58 flash)

The cons for the 18-270:

The lens, which has had extensive use has too loose a zoom. Does not effect image quality, but does creep easily. To counter this I keep a heavy rubber band on the zoom ring edge to provide enough drag to keep it from creeping.

Along the same lines the focus ring could use more friction. Does not creep, but easy to bump and throw off.

Having the AF/MF on the lens and requiring it's use is a big con. It's far more awkward to switch when shooting compared to the AF/MF button on the a700 that's under my thumb when shooting. And DMF does not work properly with this lens.

I agree with others that the lens zoom lock should be operable at all focal lengths.

Note I do not consider the lack of in lens stabilization a negative. The camera body has excellent stabilization, stabilization is not missing. And, by in lens stabilization stabilizing the viewfinder view you have no biofeedback on how much you are shaking. On in body stabilization on the a700 there is a set of indicator bars showing this in the viewfinder, and you quickly get to where biofeedback from that adjusts your shooting to when you are shaking least when you take the shot. And over time even improves your camera support so you shake less.

Folks will get into a lot of worry about the outer edges of the lens at it's longest focal length. But the practical thing is most times you are zooming long you are also more interested in the center of the photo which usually contains the subject than you might be at shorter focal lengths or wide angle focal lengths.

Note I've found that CS5 does do some lens specific looking correction of shots from the 18-270, especially in smart sharpening. Also if switching from 8bit to 16bit for editing the image.

A farther indication of the relative status of the 18-250 vs the 18-270 is that Tamron has discontinued the 18-250 and considers the 18-270 the replacement. So do I.

Walt

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow