Started Nov 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Biggstr
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
Stop the Megapixels! Enough is Enough!
Nov 29, 2011

Check the DPReview of the 24 MP Samsung NX200. Each RAW file comes in at 47 MB per photo. OMG! Professionals might need this scale of resolution to appear competitive, but, among the rest of us, who in their right mind would devote 47 MB per photo on a hard disk (much less pay for backup on a cloud) when taking photos of nature, family, friends, vacations, and children as a photo enthusiast. Where would we display the photos even if our PC/software could process them? A TV? ... a snapshot? ... an 8x10? ... a 16x20? ... the side of a building? Then, there is the cost.

I've followed the digital revolution from the Nikon D100 (6 MP), to the D200 (10 MP), to the D5000 (12 MP), to now the Olympus P2 and PL3 (both 12 MP and the P2 is my all time favorite camera.) In spite of efforts to chimp and cull, my harddisk is dying ... and my cloud backup is starting to break the bank. Indeed, even at 12 MP the cost is soaring. Harddisks are cheap enough, but at the present rate of camera clicks and the cost of cloud storage, I'll shortly be increasing my cloud storage fees at a rate of about $100 a year. Live long! Do the math!

I'm stopping at 12 to 16 MP sensors. I will not buy a camera in excess of these values regardless of the alleged IQ. 12 MP is good enough! Please, Olympus, don't follow the trend! And I hope the camera reviewers get the message and stop promoting gargantuan files sizes in the name of better IQ that cannot in practice find expression in any earthly medium or display.

By the way, please do save your photos in a cloud. I once had 3 TB of disk storage plus backup devoted to 39 years of digitized photos. The house burned down. I lost them. Yes, it can happen to you.

Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D5000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow