canon TS-E 17mm f/4L or canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II

Started Nov 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,227Gear list
Like?
Re: canon TS-E 17mm f/4L or canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
In reply to elleyyh, Nov 29, 2011

I have both the 17 and 24 TSE mk2. The 17 is my most used landscape lens because I love to get landscapes with detal at my feet to the distant mountains and also love wide vistas.

I get better results with the 24 however because 17 is really hard to focus correctly. The dof is so deep, that close looks good on the LCD and poor focus only appears when you get home. The other issue is that everything is smaller at 17 so details are hard to focus.

I have found both lenses to be very sharp when well focuesed. But I also find the edges soft sometimes when foreground and distant is both sharp. I think this is because focus needs to be perfect (not just close) for the edges to be sharp, while near and distant are acceptable with less fussy focus.

I have started using live view and going dirrectly to edges when focusing.

Tilt is also difficult because the only way to do it is to use live view, AF confirm no longer works. But as above, detail is so small it is hard to focus without adjusting the focus back and forth and looking for it to pop in. But if you do this in the parts affected by tilt, then move to the parts affected by distance, any move to confirm one will ruin the other.

-- hide signature --

When you can't focus, nothing else matters
Once you can, everything else does.

http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/

Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow