Started Nov 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,228Gear list
Like?
Long lens landscapes
Nov 29, 2011

I have not had much success with long lens landscapes. I think the problems are the results of many factors.

1. Not enough DOF.

2. AF is not good enough and live view is very hard to use on the more distant things because of the small size of features and low contrast.

3. Atmospheric haze.

4. Unable to include foreground because of the shorter dof and/or narrow field of view.

I am asking this question with examples and hope for some help from those who have figured it out.

Very long. Here is a 400mm on a 20D of Mount Whitney. This is sort of static because it does not have any foreground. I was never able to figure out good WB either, so please ignore color.

Short, 70mm FF. This sort of works (had I had better fall color). The distance is not so great as to have a haze issue and the subject has good contrast for focusing. No great DOF is required either. I can do just as well here with my 50 and then crop it however.

1DS-mk3 70-200 70mm f2.8IS at f9, 1/25

Intermediate, 200 ff. This scene of the needles in Canyonland was so far away that I needed at least 200mm. I did not get the DOF required for sharp foreground in this image. I could have stopped down. I think haze also hurts this one.

1DS-mk3 70-200 f2.8IS, 200mm at f8, 1/250

Compressing the scene with a longer lens. This use of a longer lens brings the mountain closer (magnifies it against the barn). It sort of works here because I did not have any really fine close detail to work with. The fact that I seem to have all in focus is pure accident, it seldom happens with this lens.

1ds-mk3, 70-200f2.8IS at 75mm f9, 1/20 sec

Please show us some examples with technique on composition and taking. 70mm and up.

-- hide signature --

When you can't focus, nothing else matters
Once you can, everything else does.

http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/

Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow