Kiki possibly NSFW

Started Nov 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
Turbo Hampster
Contributing MemberPosts: 530Gear list
Like?
Re: Reconsider a rework of your extraction around her hair.
In reply to Port Royal Dad, Nov 29, 2011

Port Royal Dad wrote:

An extraordinarily beautiful model, and I think you did a fantastic job capturing her playful mood. And I love the focus.

Again, I love the shots, but do you have a better work-flow by which you extracted her from the original background? It's obvious you did some photo-shop particularly along the edges of her hair, (I presume the original gray background, but you wanted white?) but the fine details of her hair are affected.

You should post the originals in The Digital Darkroom Forum. Those folks are simply amazing. I am typically stunned at the talent that hangs out there; lots of great advise on extractions with fine details on the hair.

Here's my workflow utilizing Masks, Channels, Dodge and Burn...Got it from the Tips at the Russell Brown Show. An awesome site for Photoshop Tutorials.

Hey Port Royal Dad

Many thanks for the links

Unfortunately they are not bad photoshop extractions but rather photographer error!

The loss of detail in the hair was because I had the her a bit to close to the background initially and this was causing the bleed through in the edges of the hair!

It was the first time I have shot a white background in a while and forgot how far away from the background you need to place the model she was approx 1.5 meters away and I metered the background lights to +1 stop above the key light. I thought that it would be ok and unfortunately I missed that it was clipping some of the detail in the hair when reviewing the images on my camera as I was primarily checking for focus and lighting on the face ooops!

Turbo Hampster's gear list:Turbo Hampster's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow