Started Nov 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jpstanley
Regular MemberPosts: 227
Like?
ELPH 300 HS RAW example (CHDK)
Nov 29, 2011

I picked up an ELPH 300 HS on Amazon last week for cheap, and I've been helping "root" the camera via CHDK (chdk.wikia.com).

Still have some bugs to work out before this is ready for prime time, but I wanted to share an example of what RAW can do on this little gem.

Here is a single photo that was saved as RAW (.DNG) + JPG in-camera. It's a dark night scene that is seriously underexposed at 15s, ISO 100, which is as bright an image as the unmodified camera can record. I brightened the JPEG after the fact, but saturation was totally lost in all dark areas, and there's horrible banding.

Here's the .DNG copy of the same photo.

The ELPH's little BSI-CMOS sensor captures a TON of shadow detail that the JPEG engine throws away.

Another interesting point ... this camera's lens has SERIOUS barrel distortion that the camera corrects for in software. So that answers the question... how did Canon engineer such a tiny 24-120mm equivalent lens without serious distortion? Answer: They didn't. I guess this kind of shortcut is why Canon reserves official RAW support for expensive cameras. On the plus side, though ... this means the lens is actually even wider than 24mm.

Canon ELPH 300 HS (IXUS 220 HS)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow