Started Nov 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dog46
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
IA with Sony 55-210 Lens
Nov 28, 2011

I am just learning this very intriguing camera. My last camera was a Panasonic LX-3, with which is was hard to take a bad picture. And I am well aware that you cannot compare oranges & apples. That said-here are two pictures taken within 4 seconds of each other from the same spot. Both were taken with the Sony 55-210 zoom-one at full zoom; the other with no zoom.

Here's what I do not understand at all. The picture with no zoom ( @ f4.5 1/100 ISO 800) produces a legible image. Legible to me means acceptable.

This same camera at full zoom produces an almost illegible image. (Too much noise!!)(1/250 f/6.3 ISO3200)

I think that any camera will produce noise at ISO 3200. And because it's at full zoom it won't suck in as much light.

So here's the confusion. I would expect that this camera woulds do HUGELY better given the huge sensor and ALL the adjustments that could be made with IA algorithm.

And I realize that with a camera like this is designed to be used per se NOT in IA. IF I just wanted very nice pictures I should just shoot with my old LX-3.

However-to me-it seems IA should be atleast a Baseline. And picking an ISO of 3200 in full zoom under the conditions in which I shoot here should have produced much better results. I do understand that shooting in other modes would produce better results but IA seems very poor. What am I missing in this equation?

i

dog46's gear list:dog46's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow