Linking computers to harddrives

Started Nov 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
AlecThigpen
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
Re: Synology NAS
In reply to Herb, Nov 28, 2011

I use Buffalo TeraStation Pro RAID NAS Drives. They are affordable, reliable, and easy to use, some are available with dual Gb Ethernet capability if you have a lot of work to move around. I have PCs and Macs all tied in, seeing them as mapped drives, like drive x, y, or z, so that very little is stored on the desktops. We have 16 TB of storage which should be good for a few more years.

I also keep a couple of extra drives on the shelf for the time that one of the drives fails. They hot swap out and rebuild the data for the bad drive if one should present itself.

We also back up to DVD and store those in conventional file cabinets in individual envelopes that have been databased so that we can find anything we have done. This has worked very well for us over the past 4 or 5 years.

This is far better than a WD usb portable drive which is so prone to total failure.

AlecThigpen's gear list:AlecThigpen's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow