Started Nov 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JH1984
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?
Canon 17-55 Questions
Nov 28, 2011

I am shooting with a 40D and currently have the following lenses: 28-135, 50 1.4, 100 2.0. I am looking at the 17-55. My reasoning is to get something with more of a wide-end. It will be my everyday lens for family shots inside the house and I also want something wider than the 28-135 for family vacations.

Just giving you examples of my lighting conditions, in my house, at 28mm, I can shoot at 800ISO at f/3.5 and get a well-lit exposure at shutter speeds of about 13. If I put on the 50 1.4, I can shoot at f/2.8 and 13 seconds and drop the ISO to 400. So, I would ideally like a 2.8 lens, but can get by with the 3.5-5.6.

What I'm thinking (agonizing) about is, with my level of experience (thinking about what I'm capable of getting out of the lens and what I'm used to seeing with the lenses I already have), how big of a quality difference am I going to see in my photos compared to shots with the 28-135? Enough to justify the money? I know it is for those of you who are adept at this stuff, but for a learning amateur I'm wondering. I just don't want to spend $1,000+ to get it, then look at my shots and think, hmmm, yeah, it's a LITTLE better. When I say better, I mean sharper and with better color.

I hope to grow with it, so that's a consideration. In your opinion, am I better off with the best lens? Or am I better off with something like a 15-85, or a dirty 30, or the Sigma equivalent, or with just adding a flash and going with the 28-135? (Obviously, some of these choices don't help with the wider end, but just thinking of getting better indoor family shots, what would you think?)

If you were advising a slowly improving amateur in your own household, which direction would you tell them to go?

Canon EOS 40D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow