Started Nov 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richj20
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914
Like?
Photographing in the Sierras with a G3
Nov 28, 2011

I’ve made several trips to the Sierras in California this year, specifically in the Southern Sierra Nevada area along the Kern River near Kernville. This last trip was the first that I left all of my DSLR gear at home and carried just the Panasonic G3 with the Panasonic 7-14mm f*4; 20mm f*1.7; and 45mm f*2.8 lenses. It was quite fun to have such a light system, all of which fit nicely into a small shoulder bag which doesn’t look like a photography gear bag.

In this first series, I’ve included some photographs taken in the Tehachapi Mountains along the Caliente-Bodfish Road east of Bakersfield. It was the foggiest weather I’ve ever seen here in California. Then, some scenics that show the fall colors in the Kern River Valley area. Finally, a few flowers that are quite showy in this part of the country.

Caliente is now just a postal district. In the 1800's it was a booming town when the railroad was being built.

Fall colors along the Kern River, North Fork

Wild grasses showing their Fall colors along Mtn99 Road following the Kern River

Rejuvenated ground cover in burnt forest land
Sheman Pass Road, Tulare County

A Forest Service Road north of Kernville

Brush Creek - a major tributary that empties into the Kern River

Gunsight Clarkia
Clarkia xantiana

Non-symmetrical gills on a mushroom
Russula sp.

Winecup Clarkia
Clarkia purpurea

Seed pod on Showy Milkweed
Asclepias speciosa

Damselfly
Ischnura sp.

In my next post, I’ll show some photographs on the Ranch where I stay.

Richard

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow