ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mackitten
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
Newbie Lens Care clarifications
Nov 28, 2011

Hello All.

I am not new to talking pictures but I guess new to the desire to learn to due things 'better' and/or 'correctly'.

I only have two lenses, a tamron zoom that was a git a few years ago and a nifty fifty.

Both havent been used for a year since my 300D was not functioning. Just getting a 60D I have starting a new on my learning journey. Most in the past it was how to take pictures better out of the auto modes, which Im still working on

Now though I am realizing that I have not given enough concern for care to my equipment, especially lens care.

Have read many posts and searched a bit online. Seem advice to get a lenspen which I will order this week. But seeing conflicting information or opinions on whether or not to use filters as protection. Some seem to think no - because the lens is curved the filter more glass and flat it adversely can effect images just be careful and use hoods.

Also regarding hoods, (I have one on my tamron not on my 50 [yet]) are they mostly good for outdoors and heavy light or are they a good choice 24/7?

Im know I will hear two sides probably just looking for some more thoughts on this.

If I was to invest in filters for protection which one, there are so many? I hear good things about B & W brand, but there are so many different filters it gets confusing fast.

Coming from the 'oh ill just wipe this with my t shirt' I want to make sure going forward Im doing whats best.

Also I see canon site does suggest filters and to clean lenses with their 'kits'.

I am looking into getting either a sigma 17-50 and/or a canon 28 f/1.8 around the holidays so want to ensure I gain more knowledge to care for my investments as I grow my lenses and tools

Thanks.

Canon EOS 300D (EOS Digital Rebel / EOS Kiss Digital) Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow