Am I jumping the gun and should wait for NEX 7N?

Started Nov 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
akcorcoran
Contributing MemberPosts: 530
Like?
Am I jumping the gun and should wait for NEX 7N?
Nov 27, 2011

I know I'm asking this in the NEX board so I'm fairly certain I'll know the outcome, but I want to ask anyway -

I am trying to upgrade from a super zoom to an entry-level dSLR, m4/3 or a Sony NEX. After much agonizing (and I know some of you have read it on other boards), I came down down to the Canon t3i or the Sony NEX 5N.

I am not a professional photog, not even a prosumer - a general "busy mom" photographer/enthusiast and my kids and their lives are my subject. I am sort of the "unofficial photographer" for all of their activities, however, so I end up taking hundreds of photos at any particular event. And, that camera is with me basically four out of seven days a week. I'll tell you now though that some times that is because I have to take 10 to get that one I want.

My kids are no longer toddlers anymore so life is slightly easier, but they are playing sports WAY across the field or dancing in dark theaters where I can't use a flash. I'm left where the 80% is easy and any camera will improve my photos, the 20% is difficult to get right.

After much agonizing (and apologies to those who read it or participated), I have come to the conclusion that I should get the Canon t3i because I know I can always get the shot and then improve my photography and get better glass as the years go on, then upgrade. And, I'll have my dSLR option. Seems like the sound choice and the prices are favorable.

But... I loved the NEX 5N - I can get one for $599 actually from my local camera store. But, I'll need the zoom lens (which is $700 and a bit slow to auto focus in low light, I read, which is exactly when I need it in the theater) and the extra flash (another $130). And, now it's not exactly that much more portable...? And, I worry that down the road, the lenses and accessories are always going to be more expensive?

Still, I can't shake the nagging feeling that I would like the Sony NEX. And, maybe looking at the "first glimpse reviews," that maybe the NEX 7 would have been the perfect solution for me? ARGH.

I am in a position where I have no system I've committed to - no lenses to use so that's freeing. I want a camera that will be portable enough that I'll actually want to take it everywhere with no hesitaiton AND that will get me photos I love. (Without spending hours in photoshop.) These are memories for me - I'm willing to invest but don't want to spend more money than I need to.

Your thoughts? Thanks in advance -

Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow