Started Nov 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DvD5
Contributing MemberPosts: 831
Like?
Diffraction Effects (Example Photos)
Nov 27, 2011

After all the argument in previous threads, I decided to try this out for myself. I shot images with my old D50 (6MP) and D7000 (16MP) at f/32 with my 55mm Micro Nikkor. Please forgive the nasty reflections—I used a flash because I wanted to eliminate camera shake as a variable. These were shot in RAW and opened with Adobe Bridge.

Here are the images out of the camera; D50 on top, D7000 bottom:

Here, the D7000 is resized to match the D50 (6MP), they are both sharpened the same amount:

I also took the same shot at f/8 on the D7000 and resized/sharpened. It is the bottom one in this photo:

Clearly, the D7000 at f/8 is much better than the other two images, but it also appears that the D7000 at f/32 is somewhat better than the D50 at f/32. Look at the small lettering on the white book “Ballantine Books”, or the gold lettering on the black book on the right “Harper Collins”.

The D7000 is about the same pixel density as the rumored D800; The D50 would be about 13.7MP if scaled up to FF. I know this is not exactly apples to apples, but give you a ballpark approximation of the differences between a D700 density and D800 (rumored) density...

Don

-- hide signature --
Nikon D50 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow