Started Nov 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,383
Like?
OTish: landmark digital cameras
Nov 27, 2011

Just read Steve Huff's comment about the GF1 courtesy of SFGirl and it got me thinking about landmarks in the world of digital cameras. I've been a user and enthusiast from the early days and have my own ideas, but I'm curious what others would say. Here's my list of what I consider to be landmarks along the consumer/prosumer digital camera highway:

Kodak DC2xx: among the first consumer digicams with 1mb+ and with relatively good IQ;

Nikon Coolpix 900/950: one of the first digicams with sufficient photographic controls to appeal to the enthusiast;

Sony Mavica (various): made digital photography accessible to the masses via inclusion of floppy drive;

Canon Powershot S10: one of the first truly compact digicams with decent resolution and IQ;

Canon Powershot G1: taking a digicam with higher resolution and photgraphic controls to the next resolution level (3mp);

Olympus E-10/Sony DSC 505: among the first to put serious lenses on a digicam;

Olympus C2100: one of the first super zoom digicams;

Canon Powershot Pro90 IS: (AFAIK) first super zoom digicam with in-lens IS;

Canon EOS 1D: the first relatively affordable DSLR;

Minolta Dimage 7i/Hi: high resolution (c. 5mp) 7x zoom with tons of physical controls and a useable EVF;

Sigma SD9: unique foveon sensor;

Olympus C-5060 wide zoom: (AFAIK) first wideangle zoom on a digicam;

Olympus E-1: first 4/3 DSLR;

Several Fuji compact and DSLRS: sorry -- can't remember model numbers, but some of the compacts were exceptional for high ISO and DSLRs for resolution;

Canon 5D: first relatively affordable FF DSLR;

Panasonic GF1: see Steve Huff;

Panasonic GH1/2: establishing new benchmark for affordable stills/video hybrid;

Sony NEX: first to put APS-C sensor in mirrorless body;

Fuji x100: combination retro styling + fixed lens + hybrid OVF/EVF

Again, just my thoughts!

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus E-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Sigma SD9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow