Started Nov 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mibu2011
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?
White balance help please.
Nov 27, 2011

I have shot two family functions recently. Both indoors with mainly incandescent lighting. I have shot RAW so I am happy with the end result once edited and adjusted. What I have found however is that I have had to adjust the white balance for a lot of the photos in pp due to a common yellow cast with a temperature as shot at around 6000-7000.

I have been shooting with bounced flash with WB set to auto.

I know this is a white balance issue but I am not sure the best way to get everything set so that the images are balanced correctly leaving little to pp from a wb balance point of view.

I have read lots of things regarding gels, wb grey cards, changing the wb mode in the camera etc.

I would really be grateful for some advice to set things up before the shoot to avoid the need to adjust the colour temperature in pp all the time due to this yellow cast indoors with incandescent lighting. To confuse things even more I have been shooting from room to room where of course the ambient light varies, albeit a variation of incandescent lighting so I get results with variances in the yellow cast.

Any advice in this wb area would be appreciated on the simplest/best approach to achieve the most accurate colour balance in the images when shot.

Thank you.

EDIT: Just to add, I have just opened an image in Lightroom which has a distinct yellow cast. Lightroom is showing that the temperature of this image is 6750 and the wb setting is "as shot" If within Lightroom I change the wb setting to Auto it sets the temperature on this image to 4000 which is a far improved white balance for this image.

Therefore I have the wb on the camera set to auto, the as shot temperature according to Lightroom is 6750 but if I change the white balance setting to Auto in Lightroom it adjusts to 4000. I am really confused with this.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow