ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Photo-Wiz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580Gear list
Like?
Sadly Decided to Return NEX 5N
Nov 26, 2011

I decided to return my NEX 5N today. The reasons:

1. Although it is small, it has no great real world "form factor" advantage over my Canon T2i. True it is a bit lighter. But both are light enough and small enough, and neither will fit in a pocket.

I found that my thumb often activated a touch setting on the screen because there is virtually no room for my thumb. Since the NEX 7 is a bit larger, I expect that will not be as much of a problem problem as on the 5N.

2. The curvature on the Sony lens is a bit much. Example:

3. Lens comes with a lens shade, and it appears to need it all the time. My Canon and Fuji lenses are not quite as demanding of having a lens hood on all the time. Takes the size advantage of the Sony down a peg.

4. I did get use to the Sony soft button settings, which I actually liked. But when you have to dig into the menu...it is still rather fiddly...messy.

5. The WB is great outdoors...but then again what camera isn't. But indoors, the WB is not as accurate as my Canon.

6. Finally, I read one review from digital camera resources that mentioned that the NEX 7 is more prone to dust on the sensor when you change lenses...I might as well have a compact, if I can't change lenses to a longer zoom without worrying that dust will intrude even if I'm careful.

I was thinking of getting the NEX 7. But the NEX 5N experience has talked me out of it. I'm sure for many it will be a great camera (especially in this Sony forum). NEX certainly does excel at low noise and the ability to take very high ISO photos. But I prefer a small, light, more conventional camera. For now the Canon T2i will serve me well. When Canon gets around to making it slightly smaller and slightly lighter, I'll be interested. But I've learned I don't want my DSLR/mirrorless to be as small and awkward as the Sony. When I want small and awkward, the Canon S90 serves the purpose well.
I was thinking I might get

Photo-Wiz's gear list:Photo-Wiz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon PowerShot S90 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SadNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow