MLU and Exposure Delay w/VRI 70-200 on D2X Question

Started Nov 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
olindacat
Regular MemberPosts: 196Gear list
Like?
Re: MLU and Exposure Delay w/VRI 70-200 on D2X Question
In reply to bob elkind, Nov 26, 2011

Thanks for your time Bob. The VR was ON. I never knew about this and will give it a try. I tried to upload the RAW NEF but only jpegs allowed, or am I doing something wrong? Attached is the basic jpeg straight from the camera. I do see EXIF data in PS. Will that suffice?

To address your feedback questions:

1. Did you shoot RAW or JPEG? I shot RAW uncompressed with basic jpeg. This one of 5 bracketed shots, (.3)

2. Have you checked your settings? Yes. I don't use in-camera sharpening as I always read it was a no no so I sharpen in PS. I intentionally left this alone so you could see an untouched (at least as far as sharpening is concerned file.
3. Provide a RAW file to see if your results can be duplicated. Not sure how.

4. Focus mode, focus target. I was in spot mode (is that the right term?) aiming at bunker left of flag but equidistant (couldn't get autofocus to pick-up flag)

5. How is sharpness when shooting in controlled test setup (tripod, indoors, focus target, etc.)? I honestly never tried this. Guess I should.

6. Are results different when shooting with another lens? Usually, I get very good results with all lenses.

7. Are results different when shooting with a borrowed camera? No. But I haven't used this copy of this lens with a borrowed camera (yet). Good idea.

8. Are results different when someone else performs PP? Dunno. Haven't ever had anyone do my PP. I also haven't done any PP to this except just lightening so I could see shadow detail

9. Are results different when someone else shoots with your rig? Haven't tried with this lens, usually not.

10. Does 'softness' follow the lens, the camera body, or the photographer? I have a soft belly ;-). The photographer, at times, is suspect. He (me) shoots sporadically, not full-time. The problem has always followed the lens and that's partly why I had it serviced.
11. Does this make sense? Very much so. Thank you, Bob, for your time and input.

bob elkind wrote:
OK, I'll bite...

olindacat wrote:

This is a 100% crop of a shot I took yesterday using the D2X on a heavy tripod, with mirror lock-up and exposure delay. I wasn't zooming. This is at 70mm. The flag is 250 yards away. I shot this at f/7.1 @ 1/600. I bumped up the ISO to 200 just 'in case'.
I have not sharpened this in PS

EXIF data is missing. Did you shoot RAW or JPEG?

If RAW, the image very much needs to be sharpened in PS -- and you already know this if you've been hanging around the DPReview Nikon forums as long as you have have been a user/member. It's a Nikon RAW FAQ subject.

If JPEG, sharpening is done in-camera, per your in-camera settings. Have you checked your settings?

If you are wondering about image sharpness, these are the first items to check.

I just lightened it up when I opened it in ACR. I shot this in numerous ways, ISO 100, stopped down more, etc. Little diff.

Is this the best I can get from this camera and lens? Is there anything else I can do to get the image sharper?

You need to provide more information if you want a useful response. Here's a starter list:

• Provide a RAW file to see if your results can be duplicated.

• Focus mode, focus target

• How is sharpness when shooting in controlled test setup (tripod, indoors, focus target, etc.)?

• Are results different when shooting with another lens?

• Are results different when shooting with a borrowed camera?

• Are results different when someone else performs PP?

• Are results different when someone else shoots with your rig?

• Does 'softness' follow the lens, the camera body, or the photographer?

Does this make sense?
--
Bob Elkind

Family, mostly sports. Seriously, folks, I'm not that good. If I can do it, you can do it!
photo galleries at http://eteam.zenfolio.com
my relationship with my camera is strictly photonic

-- hide signature --

Aloha and have a nice day!

olindacat's gear list:olindacat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow