K-5 getting kicked into touch by my old 550d. Have I bought a dud?

Started Nov 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JMurfo
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
K-5 getting kicked into touch by my old 550d. Have I bought a dud?
Nov 26, 2011

I purchased a K-5 a few weeks back. An upgrade from a 550d that has served me very well indeed. Feels great in the hand, plenty of customisation. I got a shock when I looked at my first test images though.

I like to shoot handheld, available light. I like to go to gigs and fight for a handful of good images in difficult situations and my 550d has always delivered, even with the 18-55 kit lens. I took the K-5 out for a gig test run and I did not find one salveable shot. Everything was soft and out-of-focus. So I did some comparisons under difficult conditions at home. All these are 100% crops from RAW/PEF, converted to JPEG at max quality in Bibble 5, all in-camera settings off, TV, same ISO and shutter speed:

As stated in the title, the third photo of the handlebars was taken after downloading the latest firmware and adjusting the focus (by too much most likely).

It seems to me that playing around more with the focus adjustment may sort it. My question is, to more experienced heads out there, do these images look like normal output from a K-5 with the kit lens, or should I take the camera back? I guess I expected it to at least punch on a par with the 550d, even if it didn't resolve more detail.

And yes, I know this is pixel peeping, but I did it to get a finer sense of why I was throwing away image and image in my first couple of weeks with the new camera.

Jimbo.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow