Started Nov 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
bob elkind
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,806Gear list
Like?
Re: MLU and Exposure Delay w/VRI 70-200 on D2X Question
In reply to olindacat, Nov 26, 2011

OK, I'll bite...

olindacat wrote:

This is a 100% crop of a shot I took yesterday using the D2X on a heavy tripod, with mirror lock-up and exposure delay. I wasn't zooming. This is at 70mm. The flag is 250 yards away. I shot this at f/7.1 @ 1/600. I bumped up the ISO to 200 just 'in case'.
I have not sharpened this in PS

EXIF data is missing. Did you shoot RAW or JPEG?

If RAW, the image very much needs to be sharpened in PS -- and you already know this if you've been hanging around the DPReview Nikon forums as long as you have have been a user/member. It's a Nikon RAW FAQ subject.

If JPEG, sharpening is done in-camera, per your in-camera settings. Have you checked your settings?

If you are wondering about image sharpness, these are the first items to check.

I just lightened it up when I opened it in ACR. I shot this in numerous ways, ISO 100, stopped down more, etc. Little diff.

Is this the best I can get from this camera and lens? Is there anything else I can do to get the image sharper?

You need to provide more information if you want a useful response. Here's a starter list:

• Provide a RAW file to see if your results can be duplicated.

• Focus mode, focus target

• How is sharpness when shooting in controlled test setup (tripod, indoors, focus target, etc.)?

• Are results different when shooting with another lens?

• Are results different when shooting with a borrowed camera?

• Are results different when someone else performs PP?

• Are results different when someone else shoots with your rig?

• Does 'softness' follow the lens, the camera body, or the photographer?

Does this make sense?
--
Bob Elkind

Family, mostly sports. Seriously, folks, I'm not that good. If I can do it, you can do it!
photo galleries at http://eteam.zenfolio.com
my relationship with my camera is strictly photonic

bob elkind's gear list:bob elkind's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS 500D Nikon D600 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow