I *almost* snagged a Rebel T3i at a black Friday sale...

Started Nov 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dkadc
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
I *almost* snagged a Rebel T3i at a black Friday sale...
Nov 26, 2011

I held in my hand what many wanted...a red voucher issued to me by a Best Buy employee while I waited in line outside the store prior to it opening that gave me the right to buy a Canon T3i and lenses, flash card, bag and other goodies (most of which I already own) for $799. Not the greatest price, but no shipping and you could buy other lenses with it for a song.

I had never picked up a T3i before, but I had held older Canon and Nikon DSLR's in the past...before buying my E500, E510 and E30.

I LOVE my Olympus glass, but as many of you have heard I do event photography. And while I may have seven strobes, soft boxes, reflectors, etc. that I use for portrait and "other" work, I almost never can use them at events and so I'm always running between 1600-3200 ISO and clamoring for MORE PHOTONS or a camera that can make better use of them.

I held in my hands the Mighty Canon T3i. I drooled over its 4x as many dot LCD display. I laughed at its ridiculously slow focusing in live view. And I gasped in horror at the silvery-gray viewfinder and realized it didn't have a pentaprism like my E-30, but a pentaMIRROR like my E500 and E510.

I gasped in horror at the lack of options in the menu system. I might not use more than half of the options in my E-30, and my E-30 might bury them deep in an obscure menu with things like the number 2 and something that looked a little like a hammer somehow meaning "VIVID" but dang, the Canon had less options than my E500.

I kept getting my butt kicked trying to navigate the Canon T3i menu system, the N/S/E/W buttons seemed to have a mind of their own and didn't behave in anything I would call a consistent manner.

I kept looking for the thumbwheel that isn't there...and the vertical mounted index finger wheel not only was loud and clicked like playing cards in the spokes of a kids bike, but seemed a perfect little slot to let water run inside. The e-30 might not be water sealed, but at least Olympus didn't put any water slots on top.

The kit lens felt like a plasticky piece of JUNK, pure garbage. And the end of the lens rotated, making polarizing filters a pain, let alone a lens flower. BUT the focusing screen was nice and I could do manual focusing with ease.

I didn't buy it. Instead, I gave the voucher to someone else who wanted the camera but didn't get there in time to get one.

When all is said and done, it would have taken better shots at high ISO. But geeze, what a cheap feeling plastic piece of crap! I just couldn't do it. And those slow zoom lenses were freakin' HUGE! It felt like a 4" piece of PVC pipe.

sigh

I'll be kicking myself next shot when 3200 ISO isn't going to cut it, but that camera felt like a toy.

Olympus, you jerks, why have you forsaken your four thirds faithful?
--

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

dkadc's gear list:dkadc's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Olympus E-3 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Pentax Optio E50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow