Started Nov 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
6bender
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?
Giving the DA 18-135 a try
Nov 26, 2011

I thought I would try out the DA18-135 to see if it is a suitable replacement for my DA17-70. My 17-70 has been great optically but it suffers from the 50-70 focus lock issues and it's my second one with the problem. My first lens I sent in for repair last year and CRIS sent me a new lens saying they couldn't repair the old one (after 2 months!). The new lens developed the same problem and I've just been living with it, but I've missed few photos because it wouldn't lock.

So before I decide on a repair or sale I thought I would try the 18-135 to see if it fits my work style. I have a blog where I do daily shoots and I like to work quick since I shoot in unfamiliar places a lot, so a zoom is a must most of the time. I'll eventually add some DA primes as finances permit but I rely on a zoom for most of my work. I was impressed with the photos I've been seeing from the 18-135. Impressed enough that I wasn't too scared by the Photozone review. So far, I like it. I like it's rendering and contrast. It seems sharp enough and it's weaknesses are minor for my type of work. I like the WR since I seem to always be in the rain and the firm feel of the focus ring (especially compared to the loose, short throw of the 17-70). But I don't like the lack of stops and distance markings. I can live with the variable aperture although I did like the constant F4.0 on the 17-70.

So here are a few recent shots from some of my daily excursions. These are actual photos and not lens test shots. I believe in just trying a lens like I would normally use it.

This one is a little extreme processed as it was part of a series on my blog. So the vignette is not from the lens

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow