Started Nov 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
fatfreddy
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
X10 and 'men of a certain age'
Nov 25, 2011

Whenever someone says "no offence, but ..." you know something's coming.

I ordered the X10 from Amazon (UK) a few weeks ago when the price dropped to £428. Delivery was scheduled for mid-December and I decided to wait as it was a good deal. Then I started hearing about dust and other issues and wondered if I'd be better off in a 'bricks and mortar' shop where returns might be easier.

So I'm in my local camera shop, which is part of a UK-wide chain. I enquire about the X10. The first thing the salesman says is "it's over-priced" and points me in the direction of the Canon G12 ("that's over-priced too").

I explain that I like the x10, and the OVF. "No offence, but it's men of a certain age (nodding in my direction) who want these. They're not used to holding the camera at arms length".

A shop in another town was offering the same price as this one but with a 2 year warranty thrown in. I decided to see if he'd match the deal. "We don't do 2 year warranties". And that was it. He admitted he had 20 on back order so it was clear he didn't need to sell one to me.

When I got home there was an email from Amazon to say they'd dispatched the camera and it comes tomorrow. So - an early night and a cup of Ovaltine - I don't want to get over-excited before tomorrow. Being of a certain age and all that.

ff

Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow