Started Nov 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
owenleve
Senior MemberPosts: 2,577
Like?
A few comments on the X100
Nov 25, 2011

I wanted this camera from the day it was announced. Finally bought one a few weeks ago and have been using it often and learning it as I go. Here are a few comments which will no doubt be met with some hostility.

Quick background. I have an array of Nikon gear, D3, D700 being my main work bodies with a long list of pro lenses from 16mm fisheye to 300 2.8. I shoot sports, wedding and commercial work and photography is how I earn my money.

Okay, the x100....

What I have found most frustrating is the inconsistent focus, or lack thereof. From frame to frame of the same subject I very wildly varying results. Combine that with how often it hunts for correct focus both in daylight and in low light sometimes I want to just throw this camera away. When it decides to focus accurately and quickly it's great. When it doesn't, it's no better than my canon s95.

Panoramic mode. I've attempted a number of these without great success. Certainly nothing that I would make a print from. Still far better to stitch a series of images together.

Quirks. Tough to remember when you can use certain shutter speeds/aperture in manual mode, etc.. Why can't we use 1/4000th and 2.0? Why I say?

Physical buttons on the back, mostly the 'ok' button. Forget using your finger, fingernail is the only way to accurately push it.

Minimum focus range, less than ideal. Combined with what I feel is a not so great macro mode-again, due to difficulties focusing. The manual focus... maybe the one thing that is more frustrating than the auto focus.

Battery life. Even with moderate use the batter life is horrible. And, to make this worse the battery indicator is garbage. It goes from half to your camera dying within a few frames at times. EV comp dial gets turned if you look at it cross eyed.

The good...

Feels great, love the dials and love using it. The final images are pretty good. Compared to my pro gear, not great. I guess that's fair and to be expected though. Dynamic range is good. Like the sensor. Would like to see a full frame version of this camera with usable AF. Metering is really nice and accurate. Of course the viewfinder is neat, big whoop the novelty wears off quickly when you can't get a focus.

In short, I would NOT buy this camera again. It's a cool toy and a fad but for it's price point it's garbage. Yeah, yeah.. call me what you want, that's fine.

Anyway, wish I rented this camera before I bought it. Giving great thought to selling and taking a loss and moving on. I feel ripped off by thing.

To be fair, I have been spoiled by my Nikon gear. But still, the AF speed/accuracy is so bad I'm not sure why so many people rave about this camera.

bummed about my purchase, and now understand some of the posts I've seen from others that loved it and now don't.

If you are thinking of buying this camera use one for a day before you do.
--

http://www.courtlevephoto.com
http://www.courtlevephotography.com

Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D3 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow