Should we vote on how well images meet challenge's criteria?

Started Nov 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paulo Matos
Contributing MemberPosts: 609Gear list
Like?
Should we vote on how well images meet challenge's criteria?
Nov 25, 2011

DPR ask us to rate each image according to your own interpretation of:

• how aesthetically pleasing is the image? AND

• how well does the image meet (your interpretation of) the challenge's criteria (name, description & rules)

I disagree with the second interpretation, which I believe cause too much confusion and injustice in the evaluation process. My suggestion has been that people should only evaluate how aesthetically pleasing is the image and should be the host to decide if an image meets the challenge's criteria.

The diversity of cultures and educations of people around the world makes interpretation of the criteria an unbalanced and unfair system, not only because each person perceives the criteria in a different way, but also because of the uneven population distribution.

There are also people with a very narrow interpretation of the criteria and for who the image has to be as they expect, which undermines creativity and originality of the works presented.

If people who think the photo does not meet the criteria vote 0.5, this will confuse the author about the value of it. Furthermore, these votes can also be confused with sandbagging, which will not help in our intentions to reduce cheating.

Just a quick example, I am sure there are many more :

"Happiness is in the simple things in life" challenge, by Rencorreia.
http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=5538

Judging by the high number of votes of 0.5 as well as votes at opposite ends (rather than the expected distribution), there were many people who do not agree with others about the meaning of happiness or simplicity. For me it's a theme on which almost any kind of images was justifiable.

While challenges remain with this interpretation on votes, I will try to compete just in those challenges that are obvious, where the description is about a specific place or object, for instance. But even so, I have to be careful because I have also seen a macro photo of an object that scored badly because some did not realize what it was.

Paulo Matos's gear list:Paulo Matos's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow