Started Nov 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,466
Like?
Re: VGA and HDMI only, no option for other graphics
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Nov 24, 2011

Jim Cockfield wrote:

NewsyL wrote:

I see one BIG problem with this laptop. None of the specs I read showed that it is available with either a DisplayPort, Dual Link DVI, or for that matter a HDMI port. All I could reference was Intel GMA graphics and an analog VGA port.

This will NOT be able to drive the 2560x1440 (27") or 2560x1600 (30") monitors.

The analog VGA port will support a 24" 1920x1200 resolution.

Do you have a model with a discrete GPU i.e. Nvidia or ATi ? and DisplayPort?

Good catch. I didn't even look up the laptop model.

It looks like the Dell Studio 1737 was sold during 2009 (released November 2008) and has Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics and is equipped with a VGA port and HDMI port. From what I can tell, that was the only way it came as far as graphics go.

Here are the docs for it. From what I can see of the photos in the setup guide, It's got a VGA port with an HDMI port right next to it.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/studio1737/en/index.htm

So, he'd probably be better off sticking with one of the smaller models with lower resolutions, ruling out the current 27" or 30" Ultrasharp displays in the Dell Lineup.

Hey! I missed the HDMI !

I figure the OP should consider a 23" 16:9 1920x1080 and get a DVI/HDMI adapter if necessary.

That would allow him access to a number of monitors with e-IPS panels and near 100% of sRGB gamut and keep his cost below $280 USD and in some cases below $200 USD. Later, when he gets a better quality desktop (or laptop with DisplayPort) he can reconsider getting a better quality monitor and maybe, with the desktop, go to a dual monitor system using today's monitor as his second screen to hold tools, palettes, email, etc etc, with his working image on the new high end monitor.

Dell U2312HM (HDMI port? No)
ASUS PA238Q (HDMI? Yes)
ASUS ML239H (HDMI? Yes)
LG IPS231P (HDMI? No)
NEC EA232WMI (HDMI? No)
Viewsonic VP2365WB or VP2365-LED (HDMI? No)

This may allow him to run both screens at 16:9 with no aspect ratio issues though the question remains as to if the external will see 1440x900 or 1920x1080.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow