ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mandms7
Regular MemberPosts: 229
Like?
Help a Total Newbie with First Time Printing
Nov 24, 2011

Hello,

I've been shooting photography for years but have never actually printed any of my pictures. I'm now interested in printing some of my pictures on canvas using Costco. I've got so many questions its not even funny. I'd really appreciate some help in understanding the entire process.

Here's some background info:
Camera Used: Sony a700 (12 MP)
Software Used: Adobe Lightroom 3.x

Here are my questions:

1) Given my camera, what size paper can I realistically print to? I'd like to print some 24x36 canvas (although I think Costco's closest size is 20x30). Is this simply too big?

2) Am I supposed to export the file from Lightroom or use the Print module to "Print to File"? Print to File always puts a border around the jpeg image.

Resizing

3) Should I be adjusting the size/aspect of the image using the cropping tool in the Develop module? What about the Image Sizing options in the export function? Or do I just use the cropping feature on Costco's website?

4) If I am supposed to resize it, do I put in the same dimensions as the paper I want to print to?

Exporting
5) What File Settings are recommended for both Format and Color Space?

6) Similar to 3 above, should I resize the image, and if so, to what?

7) Should I leave the "Don't Enlarge" button unchecked, and do I need to adjust the DPI settings?

8) Should I be using the Output Sharpening option, and if so, which options?

9) Not that I know how it works, but Lightroom doesn't offer soft proofing. How will I know how far off the print will be from the way it appears on my calibrated monitor?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow