Started Oct 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
Alternative Energy Photography
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Re: AA batteries no longer the trend?
In reply to DonA2, Nov 24, 2011

dona2 wrote:

Alternative Energy Photography wrote:

Part 2 to my post above. Yeah, I'm just as blabby in real life, too.

Environmentalism

I do not use rechargeables for the assorted watches or remote controls I have. They're not even available for CR-2032, CR-2025, or other "button style" form factors. AA and AAA rechargeables are expensive and drain over time when sitting, making them not well suited for low-drain devices such as DVR or TV remotes. I'd have to recharge them more often, and as somebody else already said in this thread, batteries don't make good hobbies!

My employer collects used batteries of all types. There are buckets and buckets of batteries on various drop-tables and mail-drops all around my work location. I never see them get emptied. What's up with that?

I hear the horror stories about battery disposal, but I have never seen any numbers, so I must question all the screaming and yelling. I think the green lobby may be "glossing over" the details and making the AA battery disposal problem seem worse than it may really be.

Yes, of course proper disposal is the right and moral thing to do. Most cities in the US have "some" way to recycle batteries and hazardous household waste, some are even free. But I have to say I am suspicious of the vocal nature of the Battery Disposal Police.

-- hide signature --

All disposables are a problem and that problem is getting worse. Any battery type in a landfill is hazardous to the environment.

One example that I read about recently was where a group of kids decided to canvas their neighborhood and pick up any non acid "dead" batteries. They ended up with a pickup truck full of batteries. Yes there is a problem.
Don V. Armitage

Don, your intention is noted but your statement is very all-encompassing and your pickup truck example is merely anecdotal. This is just breathless heresay to me.

I would like to know how real the problem is, with somewhat plausible/verifiable numbers. "Some kids collected a pickup truck of batteries in their neighborhood" just sounds suspicious to me. Did they go over two blocks, or did they collect in all five Borroughs? Was the collection made over months and years? And these batteries were not found in the landfills, they were in people's homes, yes? Maybe people were holding onto their spent batteries while waiting for a recycling opportunity.

Many cities are avid about recycling, but many cannot afford it because recycling batteries is an expense, not an revenue, even when farmed out to commercial interests who do that job efficiently. But even so I suspect we throw a lot fewer batteries into the landfills than the breathless green reporting would have us believe.

Of course that is just my opinion; but in the absence of evidence to the contrary, I'll stick with that.

And beyond that: the breathless reporting insists that chemicals from batteries disposed of in landfills gets into the groundwater. As if this "always" happens. I suspect that landfill design, leachate extraction methods, and the percentage of leachate from batteries (compared to the percentage of leachate from other sources) prevents this from happening in landfills. But to believe the press, our AAAs are leaking out of landfills ALWAYS and EVERYWHERE FOREVER AND EVER, Amen!

I don't believe the press. I just don't. They mislead. One must be very pessimistic to be a reporter/editor these days.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow