Which camera would you buy an 8 year old?

Started Nov 15, 2011 | Discussions thread
Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,408Gear list
Like?
My 1 year old and 3 year old are getting cameras for Christmas
In reply to meanwhile, Nov 24, 2011

Has your daughter been out unsupervised with her current camera? I'd let her take one of your old existing cameras out a few times first before buying her a new one to use unsupervised.

I love my children. They are smart and they are my world but I do not think they are geniuses. Kids are generally capable though. Both my kids have helped me take pictures with my DSLR (though the camera does not leave my hand).

My 3 year old son uses a Canon A590IS that has a large dust blob on the sensor that shows up at small aperture. He's been using the camera supervised since he was 2 1/2. Most of the time he wants to take pictrues of the floor tiles and of his toys, but occassionally he shoots a competent portrait of his sister or mother. I find I have to remind him not to cover the flash or lens and I often have to clean the lens of finger prints. He certainly doesn't use the mode dial (he's just starting to recognise letters and numbers).

My 1 year old daughter wants to join in. She keeps trying to take the camera from her brother and my wife. My wife bought her a 1MP $30 camera. I returned it and this Christmas she'll be getting a Samsung ES30 that produces great pictures in good light and has a decent flash for a point and shoot. I bought her camera in pink and I expect that she'll likely trash it before she's done. So long as it lasts a month or two it'll be better than some of the junk toys I've bought. Again she'll use it supervised.

I have no dillusions about them growing up to be famous world class photographers. How far they go and in what area is up to them. I just don't want a good picture that they do manage to take ruined by garbage equipment.

I honestly don't think there is a "tough" camera out there that will stand up to being abused by a toddler.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.

My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow