Started Nov 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DaddyG
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
T2i - beware condensation
Nov 23, 2011

Thought I'd let you know about a previous experience where my T2i and EF-S 10-22 met an untimely end on a hiking expedition. The camera was outside my backpack for easy access. It began raining steadily, and the motion of the water made for potential good images.

I had the camera protected under my Goretex jacket. It was not getting rained on, but after about half an hour I went to make a shot, and it wouldn't focus, two large black spots appeared on the viewfinder, and it seized.

Did all the recommended things after getting back to the lodge (removed battery/len/card, and left open for the night to dry).

No luck - it was toast, as evidenced by two small 'explosions' internally the next morning while desperately hoping it had recovered.

The next day, the camera shop indeed diagnosed condensation as the problem. Testing the lens, it would not focus on a new body.

All my camera care research pointed to mitigating the effects of condensation by not taking from a warm to cold environment unsealed (and vice versa). However, I never suspected this microclimate under my jacket to be a danger.

I hope this post may help avoid the pain of having your camera fail in this way.
Regards

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow