ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
drechor
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
K5 (or nice dslr equiv) vs GXR A12 M: detail after post-process
Nov 23, 2011

A little bit of preamble:

I have a Pentax K5 and nice accompanying lenses; they are already much better than my photography. Also getting back into film, getting a darkroom going, currently shooting Olympus OM (got off the Leica train a while back, but did like it except for the expense).

I also have a CV 35/1.7, Jupiter-8 50/2 and Canon LTM 50/1.8 hanging around. I appreciate smallness and if it wasn't for the image quality being less than I like, I would have been happy with an Oly E-P3 to use these lenses on.

My question about detail, re lack of AA filter in the GXR: how would you compare K5/D7000/Sony A** files, post-processed, to your GXR-M files out of camera? I.e., how much of an effect does the lack of an AA filter have after you have put your files from a dslr and the GXR-M through the wringer? I'm generally referring to sharpness-boosting operations in PP.

As much as I like the K5, if the files from the GXR-M (and I'm not talking about usability; I'm sure I'd like shooting with the GXR-M better) are that much more detailed even after PP, I'd really consider the GXR, even if the dynamic range and resolution isn't as good.

What do you think? My head says to stay with the Pentax system but my heart says to go GXR-M for the size and experience. Should/Can I add that details are that much better?

André

-- hide signature --

Andre

Olympus PEN E-P3 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow