Warning about the Lens Plate on the 70-200 VR I (the VRII has the same plate)

Started Nov 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
yhenry
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
Re: Warning about the Lens Plate on the 70-200 VR I (the VRII has the same plate)
In reply to flbrit, Nov 22, 2011

flbrit wrote:

See this link to Really Right Stuff.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/...oductDesc.aspx?code=LCF-10P&type=0&eq=

I also experienced this on my VR I. The screws came loose but I caught it before it caused any real damage . I used locktite thread locker BLUE to retain the screws. And it did not happen again.

Same here. My 70-200 VR II was wobbly in the tripod. After some investigation into the tripod head clamp and the lens, I traced the problem to the plate on the lens connecting to the tripod foot.

(Blue = Removable and comes in a RED TUBE. DO NOT USE Thread Locker RED its permanent).

At the very least check the plate.

When I came across this in the RRS recent catalogue I became convinced that the screws came loose due to the plate flexing and locktite is what I now consider a fix. The thicker plate imho tackles the root cause.

I just screwed it back since I did not have Loctite. And it's just like new. I also did see the add for the new plate on RSS catalogue, but that little piece was very pricy. Their products are excellent and I own their ball head, but most of their stuff are very pricey.

I have a kirk foot and RRS warn it may not fit. I'll post when the plate I ordered arrives since the kirk foot is cheaper (or was when I purchased it). I will also check to see if it fits the Nikon Foot. I now have the VRII so when I report back, It will be about the fit to the VRII.

-- hide signature --

show signature --
--
Brian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow