External Flash with 580ex possible with the X10?

Started Nov 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
bcalkins
Regular MemberPosts: 325Gear list
Like?
580EX works in hotshoe, but not with PW's
In reply to Kevin Chao, Nov 22, 2011

I have been able to use both the 580Ex and 430EX II in the hot shoe (must have external flash set to on, and not be in super macro). Naturally once you have one in the hotshoe flashing you can use the Canon wireless to trigger other flashes in manual.

More to your question, I had a bunch of studio gear with pocket wizards and my Canon 7D rented over the weekend. In between shoots I took a few minutes to compare my X10 to my 7D. To my surprise I could not get it to trigger the Pocket Wizard (think it was a pair of Plus II units). Pocket wizards worked nicely on the Canon 7D. Canon flash worked fine on the X10, but PW on the X10 was a no go.

I did, however, pop up the built in flash and used the eye trigger on the studio lights and it actually worked just fine (and lots cheaper than a pocket wizard). Pretty underpowered and requires line of sight, basically, so not exactly a replacement I couldn't get it to trigger a studio light in a softbox behind me, for example. However, I was able to get a background light to trigger from the built in flash, and THAT would then trigger the softbox light. As long as my shutter speed was 1/500s or below all the lights had time to trigger.

Felt a little fiddly using the X10 in that situation, though, and the autofocus really failed to keep up with the Canon 7D unless I raised the room lights up. Not exactly my first choice for studio work, but always fun to play around...

bcalkins's gear list:bcalkins's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow